This was originally going to be a lengthy list. It was going to be a big list of all the things that people traditionally do wrong in time travel movies and books.
Unfortunately, it started out like:
- Do not go back in time and interact with yourself
- Do not go back in time and meet your father/mother
- Do not go back in time and kill your grandfather/grandmother
- Do not go back to the dinosaur era and squish a fly
- Do not go back in time with the intention of winning at gambling
- Do not go forwards in time by 800,000 years
...and so on and so forth. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that because unless something goes wrong during time travel, you don't HAVE a book/movie, and that therefore there is only one real rule which is
Do not travel through time for any reason
That is all.